Travel Deal for June 10, 2013
The Red River Ex Package gives visitors to this annual exhibition of food, music and outdoor fun a chance to enjoy the festivities in comfort. Ramada Viscount Gort is across the street from Winnipeg’s Polo Park shopping centre, which is also a pick-up location for the free shuttle to the Ex grounds. This hotel is minutes from the airport, has an indoor pool and full-service restaurant. Completely renovated in 2010, Winnipeg’s Viscount Gort Hotel boasts 135 spacious guest rooms as well as a banquet centre that can accommodate up to 600 people.
Room reservations include complimentary admission to the Red River Ex (for up to four guests). Kids stay and eat free. The Ex runs from June 14-23 and was mentioned in Vacay.ca’s June Festivals roundup. The nightly room rate is $125 from Sunday-Thursday, and $135 for Friday and Saturday nights. This opportunity is available from June 17-23, 2013.
New this year at Red River Ex:
- Continental Stock Dog Championship: A competition where stock dogs coral three sheep in under four minutes for the chance to win a $10,000 grand prize (June 21 to 23)
- boxed’N EXtreme Gallery: Never seen before in Winnipeg, local artists display their beautiful work inside shipping containers
- Cavallo Horse Show: Equestrian Acrobatic Show where riders perform acrobatic tricks on horseback
- Mach3: New ride that pulls 3.5g. Not for the faint of stomach
- West Coast Lumberjacks: You may have seen these guys on “Canada’s Got Talent”
- EXpressway: A thoroughfare of food selections that runs right through the middle of the park
- Manitoba Mutts: Adorable dog adoptions and important dog rescue information
- FREE 10-day concert-series: (all concerts at 8 pm except Toopy & Binoo, who appear at 2 and 4 pm)
- Friday, June 14: Jason Blaine with guests Small Town Pistols
- Saturday, June 15: Faber Drive
- Sunday, June 16: Trooper
- Monday, June 17: Glass Tiger
- Tuesday, June 18: Econoline Crush
- Wednesday, June 19: Alan Doyle
- Thursday, June 20: Classified
- Friday, June 21: George Canyon with guests Keith & Renee
- Saturday, June 22: Colin James
- Sunday, June 23: Toopy & Binoo
Vacay.ca Spotlights Winnipeg for Irish Brew
While in Winnipeg make sure you get a cold pint. Vacay.ca counted down 17 Days to St. Patrick’s Day by looking at the best Irish bars in the country. Scoring in our ranking was the King’s Head in Winnipeg.
Vacay.ca’s Jody Robbins had the unenviable task of trying out all that great beer at King’s Head and said “Even the building has character. Walls of exposed brick and mortar betray its history as an electric company and give this 110-year-old joint a real heritage feel. The multi-floor pub keeps expanding and now occupies two buildings. It can hold a crowd of around 200 on each floor, each watching a different band at the same time.“
Robbins: “When the thirsty crowd gets hungry, they tuck into the King’s Head curries that include colonial favourites such as Makhani Murgh aka Butter Chicken ($12.95) and Shrimp Quorma with cashews and raisins ($12.95). Specially for St. Paddy’s Day, the pub will offer Guinness Lamb Stew ($10.95) served with scones and Lamb Shank ($14.95) with mash and veg.”
Click here to read the full story.
To purchase tickets from the Red River Ex Package: Click here, or call 1-204-888-6990.