January 2, 2012: Thanks to Daniel Mittag for sending in this photo of a street in Sioux Lookout in northwest Ontario. It is our Photo of the Week. For his efforts, Dan scores a travel prize from Vacay.ca.
We love seeing Canada in photos, so send us your images and get your photos published. You could be our next Photo of the Week winner! Email your images at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include caption information as well as your full name and city where you live.
More on Sioux Lookout
Daniel Mittag writes:
- Sioux Lookout is known as “The Hub of the North”
- major centre for essential services in Northern Ontario
- one of the busier small airports in Canada
- tourism is a main source of income, thanks to a large population boom in the summer
- world-class walleye (pickerel) fishing in the summer attracts people in droves to fish the pristine lakes
- Sioux Lookout has great beaches and there is usually a ton of water sports (wakeboarding, water skiing, tubing) in the summer
- Frog Rapid Camp: tourist camp/boat rentals/fishing expeditions. Family owned and operated since 1939. Really cool place to spend a weekend/week.
- Knobby’s Restaurant: only open in the summer, cool local hangout that’s a log cabin-style place overlooking the lake and float plane base. Great food and fresh fish daily.